Saturday, January 31, 2009

Going Home

Olivia


Gabrielle





Well today is the first day we will have leave our babies. We are somewhat confused with how to feel about this. Pete is excited to have a bed to sleep in and not a couch to sleep on, while the babies will not be 10 steps away. Somehow I feel the urge to cry, while everytime we go in the NICU they go on and on about how well our babies are doing. Bitter sweet I suppose.

Olivia had a little hiccup last night and had to go under the warmer for the night. They are supposed to maintain their body temp above 98 degrees and Olivia was breastfed "skin to skin" which should maintain their temps, but hers fell to 97 after about 20 minutes of feeding and she went back into the isolet. This morning she was doing better and may go back into the crib today.

Gabby is doing well. Still reluctant to eat her entire meal by herself. They have upped their feeding requirements to help increase their weight and Gabby has had a hard time meeting the requirements. She must have an appetite like her daddy. So she doesn't get to breastfeed as much as Olivia does...to make sure she is getting the calories she needs.

Breastfeeding/pumping is going well. I have been told already that I am a machine...we already knew that! HAHA! It is time-consuming to pump and breastfeed and eat and sleep! I think that when we go to just breastfeeding and maybe the occasional pump between the day will slow down just a bit!

So we are here till this afternoon...don't call after 5:00, I may be a mess!

2 comments:

  1. They are so precious!! Just beautiful! Congrats again! I know what you mean about the breastfeeding, I felt like a feeding machine and I only had one baby. Keep up the good work, the girls will be at home with you before you know it. I'll be sending lots of prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just letting you know that we're checking in on y'all and sending warm fuzzies ;-). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete